THIS PAGE IS FULLY PROTECTED

Twitter Follow

Monday, September 15, 2014

Gotta Know When to Throw In the Towel

As an update, on April 24, 2014 I resigned as a Regional Representative for the Phylaxis Society. I had served in this capacity to several jurisdictions over 19 1/2 years.

My most recent appointment in 2011 was representative to West Virginia, and was expanded to include eastern Ohio & western Pennsylvania since I lived in a tri-state area encompassing all 3 states. This seemed to be a good fit for myself & the Phylaxis Society as this is the region I grew up in most of my formative years. I was from the region, and my paternal ancestors were partially responsible for the expansion of Prince Hall Freemasonry in the Northern Panhandle region of West Virginia in the mid to late 1800's and early 1900's.

Though I AM no stranger to adversity and dealing with difficult people, West Virginia appears to be filled with some of the most difficult and obstinate people I have ever had the displeasure of meeting and dealing with.

The leadership of the Prince Hall Grand Lodge of West Virginia not only disliked the Phylaxis Society, they showed themselves to be anti-education, and demanded to have appointment power over the Phylaxis Society, a historical research & education organization that in no way interferes with Grand Lodges. That is expressly forbidden in the by-laws of the Phylaxis Society.

There was additionally a verbal directive issued that PHGL of WV members were NOT to join or even accept reading material from the Phylaxis Society or it's regional representatives... which just really made me shake my head in puzzlement. It got even worse when PHA members in West Virginia were even directed not to have social conversation with me. WOW! was all I could say on that.

In truth, I AM more bothered that individuals were more concerned with titles and positions that many of them were NOT qualified for than in thinking for themselves. What came to mind more than once were papers written by Hon. Joseph Walkes, FPS founder of the Phylaxis Society regarding the limits of a Grand Master's power and authority.

As it finally became clear that I was no longer effective in my appointed role as Regional Representative, I decided it would be best to resign in the best interest of the Phylaxis Society.

I share these words to simply point out that though most Grand Lodges talk a good game, masonic education is an unwanted step-child by most Grand Lodge leadership, leadership that serves at the behest of the members of the Grand Lodge.

24 1/2 years has shown me on too many occasions that there are some issues still needing dealt with.

Frat,

Raymond Sean Walters a/k/a Renaissance Man
Post a Comment