THIS PAGE IS FULLY PROTECTED

Twitter Follow

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Problem IS in the Pipeline

I wanted to express my view on the topic in the link by Catherine Rampell, an opinion writer for the Washington Post who wrote about the lack of diversity in engineering & STEM fields.

The problem IS in the pipeline. More often, minority students with talent are NOT spotted or encouraged into STEM, which has actually done our country (and those students) a great dis-service. I was one of those students, with high IQ & test scores yet steered toward blue-collar employment - not college.

It was so bad at my high school that I was denied entry into a Basic Electricity course because "Black people don't take that class" I was told. Another thing that makes this odd, I come from a family with Electrical Engineers, and am myself now a semi-retired Electrical/Electronic Engineer (due to health issues/ disability) and 3 of my 4 adult children (2 daughters, 1 son) are engineers (Electrical, Civil/Structural, Computer Science/Programming). 

Every area I was employed in as an Electrician or Engineer, I was often the only non-white person employed and openly disrespected by my peers and management despite my knowledge and excellent job performance.

Had I or my parents allowed this negativity to direct the course of my life where would I have ended up?

It always saddens me to see that our public schools dissuade ethnic minority students with talent and potential... SMH

The region I live in still excludes ethnic minority students from STEM areas, and I have great concern now, as I did when I actually attended school in this region so many years ago. Type-casting still goes on, with students not being prepared for present or future --- they are left relegated to a time period when Blacks (and other ethnic minorities) were still wearing chains, physical and mental and relegated to second or even third class citizenship.

Read the article written by Miss Catherine Rampell and see what conclusion YOU arrive at.


http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/catherine-rampell-diversity-in-tech-must-be-addressed-before-the-recruiting-process/2014/08/25/0b13b036-2c8e-11e4-bb9b-997ae96fad33_story.html
Post a Comment